Friday 26 February 2010

Last Low Carbon Love

What’s my last low carbon love? The last item on my list of things that make it easier to be green? People.
Because living a low carbon life can’t be done in isolation- it’s too hard, and we need to share resources- both physical and emotional. It’s a community endeavour. Lots of people help me in my transition to living a greener life.

My lovely other half obviously deserves a mention, as he has to bear the brunt of it. None of this is really his thing- but he puts up with it and helps me out. He tolerates our freezing hall: we agreed it was unnecessary to heat a room we only walk through, not sit in. He puts up with me shouting at the radio when they interview yet another climate change sceptic ‘for balance’.

Then there are my friends, with whom I am perfecting the awkward little dance we do, trying not to offend each other, when they talk about their fabulous weekend breaks by plane to Scotland or Prague. They might not be the greenest of people, but they mean a lot to me.

The people I know through Transition really sustain me in my efforts, because I know they’re on the same journey. They buoy me up, not just through the things we’re able to achieve: the CSA that Tully is putting so much effort into, the classes the re-skilling group are organising; but by the fun we have along the way- the clothes swaps, the evenings in the pub, the beautiful meals we share in each other’s homes.

But it’s not just these people, it’s all the people whose names I don’t know. It’s the people running and working in Norwich’s independent bike shops, the sales assistants who understand that I don’t want a bag. Everyone who takes a single step towards living a greener life makes it easier for the rest of us.

So thank you, all of you, for the steps you're taking. And thanks for reading this week, I hope you've enjoyed it. I've had a great time writing.

Next week it's all hands on deck for the thorny subject of flying.

2 comments:

  1. Great set of posts Elena! Particulary liked the suggestion to extend libraries to share things other than books. Something that would work well at a village/neighbourhood level - gardening and building repair tools maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. helenofnorwich1 March 2010 at 17:52

    lovely 'feel good' posts

    glad to know that I sustain you as well!

    ReplyDelete